Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Whimsical Wednesday - Unique Drawer Silhouette Shelf

Doesn't it drive you crazy when you have a good idea or something you want to say and you forget what it is?  I had something I wanted to talk about for this WW post, and for the life of me, can't remember what it is.
Bummer.  Isn't it even more annoying when someone tells you they had something great to tell you, but can't remember what it is? Sorry about that.
So anyway...instead, I thought I'd show you this shelf that my husband helped me put together. My mom brought me these 4 drawers (yes this IS my 3rd drawer-related project in the last 30 days...and yes, my mom is responsible for finding all of the drawers) and they were scattered in random places throughout my garage, so I kind of forgot about them because I had no idea what to do with random, unmatched drawers.
Once I put them in the same area, I realized that they were all the same drawer, just painted different colors...I arranged them in a couple shapes until I came up with this:


My husband attached them to one another for me before I painted them gray.

I then found some silhouettes on The Graphics Fairy blog, and edited them to the size I wanted. I love the picture of the baby (who is so much cuter in person than the pictures below)...so I decided to do a little "family".

I did my little tracing trick like my first drawer project:

I used black craft paint to do the silhouettes before sanding/distressing and then slopping applying a generous amount of a stain + glaze mixture on it.  After I wiped away the excess, I allowed it to dry for a couple days before sanding and distressing it again.

These pictures are icky, but as I mentioned in my booth post, some of the other dealers were watching me, and I felt a little weird about taking pictures in front of them.




I wanted to put another coat of the stain on them before taking them to the store, but I ran out of time.

It seems I'm going through furniture phases...first the chests/trunks (and I still have 2 more in my garage), and now all these drawers:



and this makes Project #3.

Would you be surprised if I told you that I have ANOTHER set also sitting in my garage.  They are pretty fun "as is" though, so I think I'll just be cleaning those up.

I'm still trying to figure out what my original post idea was, but to no avail....if it hits me at 3am tonight, I'll be sure to write it down this time.

I shared this project at The Graphics Fairy. and most of these link parties:

MONDAY:
TUESDAY: 
THURSDAY:
FRIDAY:
take care -


Follow Me on Pinterest

14 comments:

Bonnie said...

I love your idea!!! How creative and economical to use old random drawers for shelves...and the graphic's fairy vintage prints are awesome on this!!!

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Another great repurposing project.

fromgentogen said...

Now I know what to do with the mismatched drawers out in our barn! Thank you so much for sharing --- I absolutely love all three of the projects.
Blessings, Becky
www.fromgentogen.com

Veronica said...

Hi Erin...thanks for stopping by and following Tassels Twigs and Tastebuds... returning the bloglove and looking forward to blogging together!

Veronica

The Polka Dot Closet said...

This drawer shelf is fabulous! I'm not surprised the other vendors were staring at you....They are sooo jealous, I looked at your post on your booth and it looks wonderful, you have great things, I predict you will be a huge success

Carol

Jenny @ Simcoe Street said...

This is sooo creative!

Jenny
www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

PS> Your distressing fool comment made me laugh!

Faded Charm said...

I love your drawer turned shelf project. The bottle brush trees started out green and then I bleached them to be this color.

Thanks for stopping by,
Kathleen

nicolette {momnivores dilemma} said...

Now, I just need to find some drawers! Great that I live in an area with a ton of thrift and antique stores... Sharing this on my pinterest...

If you have a moment today, please share your drawer ideas at Creative Juice.

Kristina @ ReMadeSimple said...

Hi Erin! I love this repurposing project! You mentioned in your post that you'll have an idea about something and then forget-I use a little "idea book" that I keep close by me with a pen so I can write a thought, draw a little diagram so I don't forget! Thank you so much for following ReMadeSimple and for your thoughtful comments! I have also become a new follower of Salvaged Whimsy!

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Erin, Great idea and I love this project. Thanks for sharing it at the Open House Party.
Hugs,
Sherry

Maureen said...

Well HELLO FABULOUS!
I love it!
I'd love for you to link up to my Fresh Friday Link Party! TOO CUTE!
http://www.releasemecreations.com/2011/11/fresh-fridays-link-party-4.html

Sue said...

Saw your creation at your booth on Thursday. One of the women who works there said your booth was a bit empty because you'd sold some things during Tipp's open house last Saturday. Good for you! Guess you'll be making another trip back there soon. :-)

Noble Vintage said...

so cute! saw this on GF post. Great idea. I love your frames that are next to your shelves too!

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage said...

Great reuse of all those drawers! The shadow box display with the silhouettes was such a fantastic idea.

Thanks for linking to Time Travel Thursday. Hope to see you again this week.

Blessings,
Liz @ The Brambleberry Cottage
http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...