Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Magazine Rack Upcycle to Vintage Childrens' Storage

Here is some truly SALVAGED WHIMSY.  I found this magazine rack at a thrift shop for $2.50 and had no idea what I'd do with it.  I liked how the ends looked like bead board...and it was $2.50.  Someone had given me a stack of old children's books when Max was born, and I found a couple that were falling apart but had great illustrations.


Not a great picture, but here after I had primed it.  It was originally an gold-orange color.  Lovely, I assure you.

So then I painted with a couple coats of semi-gloss white....which eventually became satin black because it just didn't look right with the illustrations.

I used some faux-Mod Podge and decoupaged the pages of the books.  I also used a glue gun to wrap the handle with twine.  Finally, I gave it a couple coats of acrylic poly.

I didn't distress it because I thought between the illustrations and the handle, it already had a lot going on....what do you think?  Would you distress it?

Salvaged from the thrift store and saved from a miserably mediocre life on a shelf...

Unique...aka Whimsy
Salvaged Whimsy....ta daaaa!!

I guess I don't really have any pictures showing the sides...but they are black too.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on whether I should distress it or not.  I've been staring at it for a couple days and I'm afraid to do anything more to it and have to go back and repaint.

Sharing on these sites:

Tuesday: 

THURSDAY:

FRIDAY:


take care -
 

Follow Me on Pinterest

16 comments:

Leah - The Inside Story said...

Hi Erin, I think it looks great as it is. Love the vintage childrens paper. Thanks for stopping by my blog also. Have a great day! Leahx

Debbiedoos said...

That is absolutely adorable! Very creative thinking, and it looks so cute.

Gayle Page-Robak said...

What a wonderful re-do of your lovely little magazine rack. So beautifully done right down to the wrapping of the handle. Kudos! I have joined your followers list and invite you to join my followers list; as well,I hope you will grab a blog button. I tried to join you on Pinterest but kept getting no response...so please join me there so we can link up perhaps from my end. Hugs, Gayle
http://atastefultouch.blogspot.com

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

That is really cute and unique. thanks for sharing at Wow.

Mrs. Jones from the Circus said...

I love it! I think your eye was correct to leave it as is...it's very darling!

hilary@oldhousetruelove said...

so cute! thanks for stopping by and for your sweet comment. happy to find you. new follower here! : )

very merry vintage style said...

Really turned out great. I'm such a fan of vintage illustrations, what a great way to show them off. Thanks for linking up to Share the Love Wednesday!
Mary

Carly said...

Love what you did, looks great!
Carly

Mandy said...

This is adorable. Such a clever idea!I'd love it if you shared this at my #7 Link Party that started yesterday at Project Queen.
www.projectqueen.org

Robin Johnson said...

Oh how adorable! I love the idea. Vintage illustrations are so cute. I have a small collection of childrens books, I should do something with - thanks for the inspiration.

Onegirlruns said...

i think it's great the way it is. i have a similar piece that i'm giving my daughter for christmas - it's a doll cradle. i might stain it and then distress it a bit.

Jenny @ Simcoe Street said...

So cute and creative!

Jenny
www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

House of Juliet said...

A-dorable! I'm a fan just like it is and will officially be on the hunt for one just like it. I think my grandson needs one:)

Sherryd said...

Now that's really fun and whimsical! I bet your kids love it!

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage said...

Too cute, Erin! I love vintage graphics, and your use of the old book pages on this piece is just so adorable.

Thanks for linking to Time Travel Thursday. Hope you'll join us again this week.

Blessings,
Liz @ The Brambleberry Cottage
http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

The Charm of Home said...

Really cute! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
Sherry

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...