Sunday, November 13, 2011

Easy (CHEAP) Chistmas Coffee Filter Decor Tutorial

This project was featured on Trash 2 Treasure Tuesdays at Kammy's Korner...If you haven't linked there before, I highly reccomend it.  Kammy's blog is so fun and energetic...I always feel happy when I leave her site.  Thanks again to Kammy, for featuring this project.

For someone who doesn't like coffee, I sure do love coffee filters.  They are quickly becoming one of my favorite craft items.  Today, while making another coffee filter wreath (here's my first), I had an epiphany...I could shape the filters into a ball.  Fantabulousness!


I guess it kind of resembles the famous Martha Stewart tissue ball things...but my method for arranging them is different (I made about a million of those bad boys for my sister's wedding and will live a happy life if I never have to make another)

What I used:

- Coffee Filters - Approx 15-20
-Glue gun/glue (when I mention "glue" below, I mean hot glue)...but you could probably use a lot of different ways of attaching the pieces.
-Fishing line or ribbon to make hanger
-Scissors

To shape the filter, I formed a circle with my thumb and fingers, lie the filter on top, and poke the filter down into the "hole"

Then I pinch the end together

And twist the end to help the "flower" hold it's shape until I make more of them.  (Please excuse my dirty thumb, it's primer from another project I was working on today)

Once I had made 5 of the flowers, I glued the twisted tips together, to make a circle. 

How it looks from the side

And the front. I made 2 of these.

Then, I took a pretty long piece of fishing line (another one of my favorite crafting tools), but you could use ribbon, twine, lace, yarn...you get the idea. I made a loop, and glued it to the center of one 1/2 of the flower.

So after I glued the 2 halves together, I noticed there was a bare spot, so I just put some glue on another flower and stuck in there.  I played around with it for a little while, trying to get the shape to look as orb-like as possible.  Don't be afraid to trim some of the flowers if they stick out.

And and coffee filter ball....TA-DA.  Easy as can be, right?

I left mine plain, but you could cut it down to make it a more compact, smaller circle.

Or you could spray glitter on it.  I also thought tying some pretty ribbon or greenery at the top and letting it hang down the sides could be pretty.  Maybe tucking in some feathers might be snazzy?  You could also use all different kinds, colors, patterns of papers.  THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS!

Plus, while it could be an Christmas decoration...it could also be used year-round, depending on how you accessorize and use it.  See...endless possibilities.

Here are a couple pictures of my coffee filter wreath:

I did a tutorial for my wreath before Halloween.  This one, I used a Styrofoam plate, so it's a bit smaller than my last one.

She still needs some pretty ribbon or something.

Right now, it kind of reminds me of a freshly groomed Bichon Frise

See it in around the head area?  Just saying.

Another wreath I'm loving is my rolled paper flower wreath:

I'll give details on this one within the next couple days.  A little more time consuming, but still easy.  There will be glitter, so don't miss out!

Can you see now why coffee filters are quickly climbing my list of favorite crafting tools!  (If you have Aldi's- you can get 200 for $.99....which is about half the price I've seen them other places)

See...and my husband asked what I did all day.  geesh...

I'll be sharing this at these many of these fantastic blogs over the next week: 

MONDAY:

TUESDAY: 
Kammy's Korner (Trash to Treasure)

WEDNESDAY:

THURSDAY:

FRIDAY:

SATURDAY:

take care -


Follow Me on Pinterest

16 comments:

Fishtail Cottage said...

So cute...I need to make these! Xoxo

Sonny G said...

Erin ,
love what you made.. I too need to try this. it does look SORTA like that dog.. I love your sense of humor~!

thanks for the inspiration.
your newest follower
Sonny

karah said...

Great idea!
Karah @ thespacebetweenblog

Veronica said...

Oooh its so pretty and floofy...all puffed and gorgeous!

Veronica
Tassels Twigs and Tastebuds

Veronica said...

Oooh its so pretty and floofy...all puffed and gorgeous!

Veronica
Tassels Twigs and Tastebuds

Just Jaime said...

Your poofs and wreath look great!

vintageshabbychicks said...

Hey Erin...Sharon and I just awarded you with a blog award for your amazing site. Check it out at vintageshabbychicks.com

Julie

Kate said...

LOVE! Thanks for linking up and sharing. I also LOVE that rolled paper wreath. I am doing a "little man" first birthday theme and newspaper is going to be used a lot in it---would love to make something like this for his party :)
XO,
Kate

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

Very very pretty!!
Thanks for linking
XO
Kristin

Kammy's Korner said...

That's just gorgeous! I need to get into the coffee filter thing! Maybe I will after seeing this! love it!

Shabby chic Sandy said...

They remind me of snowballs--because I am in holiday mode. Thanks for sharing how to make them. They look great!

Kristina @ ReMadeSimple said...

I love the rolled paper flower wreath! Do you have a tutorial up yet for this one?

Unknown said...

Love your use of coffee filters! I just finished a coffee filter garland and have lots of filters left over for more fun crafts!!

http://lorrinteriors.blogspot.com/2011/11/deck-halls-coffee-filter-garland.html

Fonda @Southern Scraps said...

The ball and wreath are just beautiful!

Barbara Jean said...

very sweet!!

blessings
barbara jean

iffatali said...

When I go on Japanese Airlines, I really love it because I like Japanese food.
Flights to Kinshasa
Cheap Flights to Kinshasa
Cheap Air Tickets to Kinshasa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...