Monday, April 16, 2012

My First Chair Makeover

Happy Monday...
I hope that today finds everyone safe and healthy after this weekend's storms.  
When news on Saturday described it as a "life threatening" day for some parts of the Midwest, I couldn't imagine how someone prepares for that type of forecast.
 I sincerely hope that none of you or your families had to find out, but my thoughts and prayers go out to those who did.

We were fortunate here in lovely Ohio; it was cool, windy, and rainy all day.  
Perfect day for a chair makeover!


I've never seen a chair with a back like this before...it was cracked in several places, so with a little advice from my husband, I was able to glue and clamp it back together.


After realizing my new can of primer was in the back of my husband's car....30 minutes away at his work (yes! Bryan has been back to work for a week now!!), so I decided to try this now-famous paint recipe from Twice Lovely:

(I tried to find this recipe at Twice Lovely, but it looks like it was done as part of a guest post here.  So, I think that's where you'd pin it from if you decide to pin it?)

It came out looking very much like flat latex paint before I waxed it.  I've never used flat paint on furniture, so I don't know it it distresses differently than this mixture?

I also recovered the seats, which appeared to be the original upholstery (just imagine the butts it's seen!). 

(Please be sure to note the lovely vignette created by my toddlers on the back table.  Abstract, yet still classic, don't you think?)

This fabric isn't my typical style, but it was free, it fit the look of the chair, and it was free.

Recognize the corbel table? I've managed to hold on to it so far!

This chair and her twin sister are now hanging out at the shop...

My first chair makeover is complete!

Right now, I have a couple wreath orders to work on...but I'll be back in the next couple days to share a little driftwood picture frame project and a new window table with you.

I hope you have a lovely week!
Sharing at these link parties...


take care -
 

Follow Me on Pinterest

3 comments:

Taylor-Ann said...

This is to stinking cute. I'm on the hunt right now for a chair to makeover. What a great job. I would love it if you showed it off at my new linky party @ Kampenlane.com.

I can't wait to see what else you create.

~Taylor

Gwen @ The Bold Abode said...

Great job, Erin! I'm all over free fabric...and it looks good with the updated chair!

imsteelefullofscrap said...

Adorable cute chair

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...