Monday, September 26, 2011

Kitchen Island

I've been looking for a "bean and seed" counter to use as a peninsula in our kitchen when we redo it...one day.  So far, all of the ones I've found have been a minor fortune...at least for my budget.  An example of the loveliness to which I refer:


 



Obviously, this one is much longer than what we would need...but you get the idea.  And I want to put it...



in place of this counter with the curved shelves on the end.  Neat-o, huh?

All of the counters I've found so far cost thousands.  Not.in.the.budget.  So, when I was at an estate sale a couple of weeks ago, I found this...for $75 (please pardon the poor photo - it's currently sitting on its side in my still-unpacked garage)



It was in an old barn for a long, long time, but I love the wood handles and the metal tag-holders (not sure of correct name for those) and for the most part, the paint.



I'm love the chippiness and worn away areas, but not too fond of the red spray paint.  I haven't had a chance to see if I can sand away to spray paint and get a more consistent finish. I know if I keep the chippy look, I'll have to seal it so my daughter doesn't eat it.  If saving the current finish doesn't work, I'm planning to just sand the whole thing and re - paint it.  It needs a new top - I'm thinking butcher block....what do you think?  What would you do (please don't say, "throw it in the trash.")?

I need some advice on this one, so any you have to offer will be greatly appreciated!

I'm linking this to
<br/>http://www.thethriftyhome.com

Thanks and take care -

3 comments:

Maple & Magnolia said...

Erin, this is flipping fanTAStic! I would try power washing it before sanding it. Or if you do sand it, I would use some super fine steel wool. I'd hate for that fab metal to get all scratched up. Butcher block would be so cool. IKEA has fairly inexpensive butcher blocks tops.

Loraine said...

LOVE IT!!!! Come by and check out how I made my wood counter tops for only $56 for the whole kitchen. It might work for your project too!! Here's the link to my tutorial for the wood counters.
http://loraine-breakfastfordinner.blogspot.com/2011/09/faux-butcher-block-conter-top-tutorial.html

Erin said...

Thanks so much for the tips on refinishing - I'll definitely try then. Thanks for taking the time to comment on this!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...